Montag, 2. Juni 2008

Day 2

12 hours later I am done. We spent the day unloading a truck to make space to load things to go on set, then unloading it at our location, and then loading everything back onto the truck that we didn't use, and then going to another location, and unloading everything there. 

And despite that description, it was very fun! The first 4 hours sucked because I was hungry, but as soon as we ate, I began to have fun decorating a crazy mans' apartment. I was too shy to take my camera to my first day at work, but I really regretted it.

The artist character, the lead male, is a schizophrenic artist. He has hallucinations of his alter ego and is a little bit obsessive compulsive. He collects newspapers, magazines, and for some odd reason we had to stack boxes very high up to create a wall. I guess the unexplainable will read "crazy" on screen. 

the color scheme of his house is a faint yellow. It is subtle to me, because it is real-life, but on screen I think the yellow will become very evident, especially since scenes will cut drastically from a blue toned apartment to a yellow toned apartment. 

I had quite a bit of range in terms of decorating, and that is the main reason it was fun. The artist not only has a closet full of newspapers and magazines, but he likes collecting vintage retro knick knacks. Although the placement of retro items was very subtle, that is another thing that I hope the camera catches. 

I am very happy to be working on a film with a bunch of artists. Even the carpenters and handy workers are into stage design and do this kind of setting up for a living. I met a few dozen more people today, such as the location manager and the people from the story boards. Their workspace gave me an idea for what the film would look like, and I suddenly liked it so much more. 

Maybe everybody who works on a film ends up feeling like their working on their little baby, and if that is so, it's a shame that so many movies turn out shitty! Hopefully that won't be the case here. 

Towards the end of the day I met the lead actor and actress. They weren't at all what I'd imagined, but they would do :P I'm sure they will grow on me. They were very friendly, but I imagined them to look crazier, darker. I hope they're good actors.

We worked on the blue squatt-place of the lead actress for a little bit. I arranged elaborate candles and decided that she should be ueber sensual. Since it is her home, and I felt quite at home in her fictional home, I did with it what I would have done in reality. I don't know if my coworkers thought I was crazy, as they were doing functional things, but I was busy putting minute details that probably will not be picked up by the cameras. We'll see. 

After I was done, my aunt was still in a meeting and  I was hungry again, so I went to subway alone. There I ran into the two twin artists who were making the art for the fictional artist, and I ate a pizza while they ate their sub and wrap and I seized the opportunity to interview them. They work collaboratively, and I asked them if they ever fought and they admitted to doing so, but they know each others ideas so well and they know each other so well that they manage just fine despite it. I asked them all the stereotypical twin questions, and they gave reasonable Nurture over Nature arguments for intuition. 

They had been painting ever since before they can remember (must be before 3, which is when autobiographical memory kicks in :P) They're mother is an art teacher, and the supplies were always around, just like piano and tennis were always around for me. They went to art school in Puerto Rico and studied the plastic arts. They do more than just paint, such as body painting (oh i hope they do tattoos because I would totally get one!) and other performance arts. This is their first film debut and they want to get into more Avant Garde stuff. That's very exciting for me, because I do too. It's about time for another movement.  20s, 40s, and the 00s! Part of me hopes for a 3rd world war, since these movements happen right after it. Maybe the size of the current war is just about enough to spark that impulse. 

On a side note:
Subways have pizza here! And breakfast! I think that's just swell, but Bob may say "the subway I used to work at sold pretzels, hot dogs, pizzas, popcorn, and all sorts of crap!" but I'll still say "it's cool that they sell pizza in the subways in puerto rico." 

4 Kommentare:

Hiko hat gesagt…

I am sorry, but Subway in Maryland and Virginia, maybe in other states as well, sell Pizzas at Subways since 1 year. It is pretty good.
It is only you that don't know because you hadn't been there for years.
H

Rhyming colors hat gesagt…

i usually hate subway because i've had it way too much! but now it's okay :)

Mariko hat gesagt…

Yeah... um. Subway has always had breakfast too...

rdbrid hat gesagt…

I say! "the subway I used to work at sold pretzels, hot dogs, pizzas, popcorn, and all sorts of crap!" :)