Mittwoch, 4. Juni 2008

Day 4!

filming begins tomorrow, and so today was hectic for everybody. I got assigned as an assistant to Brian for when we shoot. He's the props manager, and when I told my aunt that I got that position, she exclaimed "Que suerte!" I think she has a crush on Brian.

"This should be an interesting production," she said. "Many love affairs are going to take place! Can you believe how many people are recently separated?"

We listed off all the people who had children but were separated by their spouses recently. Out of the 6 people in the Art Department, 4 out of 6 have children and are now single. I can see why, though. The hours are very harsh, not very flexible, and one invests all your passions for a few months into one project. You're also spending a lot of time with your coworkers, who are beautiful actors and creative artists, and clever entrepreneur minded folks.

I think that's enough gossip :P On to documentary blogging:

This is the Isla films office. I finished up Henry's apartment today, putting up the final paintings. Here is a sample I managed to take, however it's not very telling about their overall work, as this is only a collage of their sketches.

Nevertheless, The ceiling is very high, and so i was on a high ladder, on my tippy toes, keeping my balance precariously on the wall, trying to get the paintings straight. Extreme hanging!

We went to pick up a statue of Jamma Ja, the goddess of water, to put in Paula's squat-residence. Her apartment is blue, as is her hair as of yesterday.The one to her left is the guy who's playing Henry. He's going to represent earth, and Paula represents water, and Diff, the alter-ego represents fire. He'll be smoking cigarettes in every scene.

After setting up the paintings in Henry's apartment, we headed to Hollywood Video, where Henry works. We had to cover the walls with brown wrapping paper, because it's supposed to look small, dingy, and dark. although dingy and dark may be the same thing... That's Fausto poking his head from the corner.

Do you see the brown on the ceiling? Yeah, we did that. Around the entire store, as well as over the signs. I guess it was fun... but not really. They were rehearsing for tomorrow simultaneously, and we kept getting in each others ways. The director, Rafi, would say "Tres, Dos, Uno, Action!" and I would have to wait until they cleared the way so that I could walk onto that side of the store. Of course, they very strategically rehearsed in areas which I had to cover.

And now, for a little story:

I had anticipated being hungry earlier in the day. When I ate at subway I bought a footlong sub and ate half of it to save the rest for later. On our way to Hollywood Video, we got very lost. It was a fun lost, though, because Fausto would always pull over for me to take pictures of things that he thought would make a good picture. There was a lady sitting a block ahead of us, in bright yellow clothes, in front of a blue fence. He pointed it out to me and told me it would make a good picture. He slowed down for me, and I got the picture. she happened to be looking down, and it didn't end up being as good as it was in theory, but I appreciated it. Later on, as we were driving on a 4 lane road, a lady was walking down the middle of the road.

The red light ahead gave us an opportunity to get close to her. He rolled down his window and held out a dollar for her. she came over, and asked for something to eat. I gave her the rest of my sub. It was a Tuna sub with jalapenos and Chipotle sauce. It was a good sub. But I got this face of her..

3 Kommentare:

Bernhardfk hat gesagt…

Sometimes you can over-artsify a movie. Having three characters representing earth, water, and fire is somewhat beyond me:
1. Is the viewer going to notice this at all, other than a color-scheme and a chain-smoking guy? The color-scheme is nice, as it underscores the diversity of settings and characters, but many viewers will see a chain-smoking guy as a plainly disgusting guy with no inner strength. Is that the intended message?
2. If a viewer gets it, what does it mean?
3. There are 4 or 5 elements, not 3. The Greek mythology had 5 elements (add air and idea as elements), while those astrologically-inclined will insist on 4 elements (the Greek elements, but without any idea).

rdbrid hat gesagt…

Yeah! there are five elements dammit! ...lol
I think having three characters represent earth, fire and water places a good social gest amoungst an otherwise potentially unsatisfying character analysis and dialogue. Unsatisfying because when juxtaposed with such an astonishing mise-en-scene (made obvious by the pictures and the cat outline on the third window to the left), the audience may be left feeling the unbalanced. Sure a contrast between set and characters has its time and place, but to achieve a real bang! out of a film an audience always certainly appreciates symbolism as a sign of a greater "truth" or "magic".
As for a chain-smoking guy viewed as plainly disgusting with no inner strengths - I have it on very high authority good sir that chain smoking guys possess an inner strength of high proportion to that of the normal man. To stare death in the eye, welcome it with a puff, and cause health insurance costs to skyrocket requires a moral capacity beyond the scope of the non-ubermensch.
and they're quite sexy man.

Rhyming colors hat gesagt…

haha true dat, bobby!

i don't think you can over-artsify a movie. This is an obscure no-budget film. Why shouldn't it be artsy. The producers believe that film is visual (gasp) and therefore should be aesthetically brilliant, and it is.

Every movie incorporates symbolism, whether or not the creators intended it to be so. It just depends on the viewer. If you don't want to catch on to the symbolism, then be my guest and don't.

The chain smoking guy is cool. He's bad ass. You can't deny that smoking and blowing smoke rings and dressing like a pirate is bad ass. Also he is stronger than henry because he stands up for and represents justice.

and yes there are 5 elements ,but there's only one band that is called earth wind and fire.