Freitag, 13. Juni 2008

kindling the love

We shot on two locations from 7am to 7pm. The first location was shot underneath a bridge, which looked magnificent on camera, but not so much in real life.

Clint Mansell's Requiem for a Dream soundtrack describes in music and by association what the underside of the bridge looked like. Needles and broken bottles littered the floor, and I a little time cleaning up a bit per request until my paranoia of contracting aids made me stop and hope for the best for everybody who had to walk on the glass and needle warzone.

We filmed scenes of Paola and Henry being all romantic and sexual under the bridge. Henry brought her to this drug den to show her how visually stunning it is, because she's a photographer. she takes pictures, then tries to take a picture of Henry, and he's acting all shy, because that's what cute lovers do. And then they actually take a really cool picture, where Henry grabs paola by the waist from behind, swings her around so she's flapping around thanks to centripital force. i don't know if the picture turned out well, but it was a cool and creative shot that I had never seen any facebook pictures (You know, those pictures where your old high school mates have new girlfriends, and they're always at parties, wearing cowboy hats or cow suits, and drinking out of a red cup).

The streets were closed for us by two friendly cops , which I was surprised we had the power to do! The previously busy rush hour highway-like street all of a sudden became quiet and empty (enter twilight zone theme.) It was pretty cool to see what city-issued permits could accomplish, without funds...I wonder how much bureaucracy was involved.

Our badass handheld camera guy took this shot of Henry skateboarding (for when he first discovers the bridge, without paola maybe? Or perhaps as a break from the canoodling, for some action shots? I'm not sure...)


After we finished there, we went to our second location. It was the dock where my auntie and I had jumped in at the beginning of our trip.

There was an old, rusty, sinking fishing boat which I climbed on with Jaime... (one of the painting twins... somehow "painting twins" sounds like a freak show, and i like it. Because that's the theme of this shoot.)

We filmed some more canoodling, on the car (Henry's discovery of her Jellyfish tattoo, and his strange obsession with touching her body.) And then they slowly walk to the dock, interact with the props, and then Paola, because she's such a free spirit, and has been released from chains of her ex husband's abusive hands, she jumps into the water.



sadly we only got one chance to film her jumping into the water, as it would have taken her at least an hour to dry completely, and by then the sun would have gone down.... she was nervous about jumping into the ocean. The waters were rough and she was probably tired. It looked a little restricted.

And now for a little story:

Five nights ago, I was at the bar with a bunch of the crew, and Rafi (the director) gets this phone call from somebody called "Jane!!! How are you!?" I could tell she was a very special person from the way Rafi said to everybody, "Everybody! It's Jane!" and then how everybody responded "Jane!!!!! How are you?"

There was a lot of love. Who is this mysterious character? Is she working on this movie? Why isn't she here? Is she coming? Who Is she!?!? I need to find out, for the quality of my blog!

Today I had forgotten all about this mysterious character, as there was enough material to write about. We were shooting canoodling scenes, and moving fast in between takes. Everything stops. Jane is here. Hugs and kisses, the Making-Of crew goes wild like paparazzi, and I get dragged onto the bandwagon.

Who is she? she is Paola's ex-girlfriend. What?! somehow not knowing the script (because its in spanish) becomes like reading the novel version of this movie. It takes forever to unfold (not 3 hours) and I'm watching the movie with 100 crew members, who are playing it out for me like puppeteers and theatre workers, because they've all read the script (I think... otherwise their in as much of a surprise as I am.) We're building and constructing this movie around ourselves. It's a gigantic puppet show.

And Rafi is the puppeteer. Later tonight, we have a party to welcome Jane, hosted by my aunt sonia, the producer. I, being your official reporter, rush in to talk to Jane to get our story. she is the fourth element. she is air.

Henry is Earth. Diff is fire. Paola is water. Jane is air/wind. Together, they are the planeteers!!

The making-of crew wasn't here for this, and I'm sad I didn't catch this on tape. Jane (whose real name is Maine) is an Atlanta girl living in NYC. she used to be a part of Rafi's cabaret. she's a dancer. she's extremely elegant and bohemian at the same time. And magnificently so.

As it turns out, Rafi has his "children" which consists of a constant slow-turnover-rate troupe of improvisational cabaret dancers. He worked for a company for 11 years (if my memory serves me right.)

Jane says,
"Honestly, we were talking about it recently, and we all decided it was this: Rafi was like our father, and now all of us are abandoned orphans. Also, all of us dance a little differently than people who didn't work with Rafi. There's something more eccentric about us.

Rafi has the ability to bring out things in your dancing that make you think 'Wow, that was not me. That was something way else that HE is responsible for. Not me.'

Rafi is like a child with a toy house and all these toy people, who he can order around. He turns a bathroom into an oasis, because he has a way of communicating to you exactly what he wants."

(dammit, now that I formated, I don't know how to unformat...)

crap...

Well, gosh, that was quite a character analysis. stay tuned for more!

Keine Kommentare: